Saturday, April 30, 2011

Big and Mini Hexies

What is happening...
I am having a good Saturday. I hope everybody is. The sun is shining and we have been watching James Bond movies. I went to a nearby town for a book signing. A person I know has written a children's book, Super Sam's Backyard Adventures. It is so cute. I bought the book for my nephew who is 10 years old. Just perfect.

What I accomplished...
I have been busy making hexies and my quilt top for my Le Petite.

 These three hexies are going to my previous partners for The Inchy Hexagon Flower Swap. We had a vote a few weeks back about the different ways we could send more than one flower to each other a month. Sending two flowers a month to the same person was what passed. I felt bad for the partners I had before this vote so I have made them a second flower. I am not going to let you know who will
get what they will just have to wait.

These next two go to my May partner. She asked for civil war fabrics. I did not have any so I got to go shopping for them. I love the way they turned out.

Next is my Le Petite quilt top. I LOVE IT!! I picked out the fabric during our area shop hop. Both the orange and black fabrics are 30's fabric. Then just a simple white on white. Here are my quarter triangle squares all trimmed up and ready to be placed together. Don't you just love the look of trimmings, for me it is a sign that I am done!

Here is the finished top. I love it. I love all the orange blocks with the flowers. What appears to be black squares and white squares on point. I had a lot of fun putting this together.
Sewing thought...
Do you have something you buy every time you go to the quilt shop? I seem to be buying a lot of Heat-n-Bond and white Kona fabric. I also just about every other time buy thread.

Goals for the Day...
Well since I am posting this later in the day I do not have any goals. Well maybe just to keep sewing hexies for my garden. Have a great rest-filled Sunday. Take a moment to count some blessings.
One side note...I follower a blogger who does very interesting work. Her name is Riel of The Q and the U (Quietly Quilting in Quispamsis). Just yesterday her post was about a quilt show she had gone to. One of the displays was of mini quilts. I love miniatures. The quilt I feel in love with is made of 1,801 1/4 inch hexies. 1/4 inch hexies?! Was that woman crazy?! I want to make one!! So I made two last night. I am hooked! I love them. Here they are with a dime in the picture for reference. I will be making more. Go check out the mini quilt and keep an eye out for my mini hexie quilt in the future.

5 comments:

  1. The tiny hexies are adorable. Good luck with yours. All your hexie flowers look great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great hexies - a great opportunity to work with fabrics outside our comfort zone or stash. I buy my thread in huge lots - to last the year (I hope), but I did pick up 2 new spools of verigated YLI (organic) for a future project. And my Kona white and black is ordered by the bolt as they are a staple. I just LOVE your choice of fabrics and colors for your Le Petite - just so different from others I have seen - very period looking. Very special. You have done well for a Saturday. Enjoy your Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy Smokes! 1/4" Hexies?? Very cool. Very tiny!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love all of your hexies!! and your quilt is gorgeous - great color choices. OK, those minis... my hands cramp just looking at them. Good luck with a quilt out of them... I won't think any less of you if you decide to do a coaster instead. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Shannon! Are you kidding me, that is a crazy hexagon...wow, I'm impressed that you tried & that they look so good. Congrats on finishing the Brocante. Nice out of 2 colors.

    ReplyDelete