Tuesday, July 24, 2012

No Maniac Monday

A few years ago before I started blogging we had lived with my in-laws taking care of my father-in-law 24/7 for about 18 months. He passed away and we moved back home as the oldest daughter moved in with my mother-in-law to live with her. All during my father-in-law's stroke, recovery, and death my mother-in-law was fighting cancer. She stayed as healthy as should could for about 6 to 7 years. Late last night she lost the fight. My mother has worked in Nursing Homes since I was a kid. I started working in one before I turn 18. Off and on all though my life I have worked with the elderly. I have a special connection with them. I feel for them deeply. I decided a long time ago that if I was present no one would die alone. I was with my father-in-law when he passes. I help clean him before they took him away. Last night I was the only one in the room when my mother-in-law took her last breath. I cleaned her before they took her. I held her had and said goodbye to her and to what her and my father-in-law meant to me. Now they are together and I couldn't be happier. Her funeral will be Saturday. I may not post for a few days but I will still be sewing and taking pictures. Quilting is what I love to do and a part of who I am. To everyone: squeeze your loved ones a little bit harder today!! 

TTFN 

Goodbye mom and day, until we meet again...

9 comments:

  1. My deepest sympathies and many gentle hugs to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have my sympathy. Your in-laws sound like amazing people. May your memories get you through the days ahead. God be with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. my deepest sympathies to you Shannon and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry to hear of your loss, even if it was her time. They were blessed to have you care for them in their final moments. Thanks for the reminder to hug our loved ones.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Deepest sympathies to you and your family. Your connection to the elderly is a special gift. You were a blessing to them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your presence when they needed you was a gift. It's beautiful to be that connected to your in-laws. My sympathies to your family.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Shannon, my heartfelt sympathies to you and your family. No matter what the circumstances, it is always hard to lose a loved one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a blessing you are to them and to those around you. With this post you have opened my eyes to something I have never given much thought to. So thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So sorry for your loss. May God bless you as you were a blessing to them.

    ReplyDelete